Great role models lead by example. They just do. When what they do is aligned with what they say, they become a person others want to follow and perhaps even emulate. When a person says one thing but does another, they disintegrate any trust that has been built. Don’t be fooled by wanna-be gurus masquerading as the ones with all the answers. How do you identify an authentic role model? They follow these six simple steps:
1. Take responsibility for their actions. Shifting blame onto others costs precious credibility, keeps others on the defensive and ultimately sabotages any potential for real growth. Own your mistakes. Others will respect you for it.
2. Be truthful. The effects of dishonesty can be pervasive and will trickle down to affect relationships far and wide. The truth always has a way of coming to light, sooner or later—one way or another. You know what they say about Karma… I would avoid that.
3. Be brave. Show that you are willing and capable of making tough decisions. Lead the charge and be the first to the fire. Having the faith to take a calculated risk shows passion and commitment to a larger purpose in life.
4. Acknowledge disappointments. Success is not final and failure is not fatal, as the saying goes. A great role model accepts setbacks and makes it safe for others to do the same. The trick is not to give up on enthusiasm. Try again, perhaps fail again. Then try again.
5. Co-create solutions. It’s true—if you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem. A great role model listens intently and eagerly seeks solutions so creative that others crave to be a part of the action.
6. Practice self-care. Making time to care for oneself is not indulgent or selfish. It is life-preserving. A great role model knows they shine the beacon for those that follow and they keenly respect the lessons of perpetual sustenance. Nurture well-being—mind, body, spirit, and success—even through adversity with their feet firmly planted on the ground.
Sending Bright Summer Blessings to you!